Following the national disaster declaration and the measures announced by President Cyril Ramaphosa on 15 March 2020, I have approved the following actions taken by the Elsenburg Agricultural Training Institute:
- Formal classes will be suspended with effect from Tuesday, 17 March 2020.
- Tests scheduled for Wednesday, 18 March 2020 will continue while noting the need for social distance during the writing of these tests.
- The practical week of 23-27 March 2020 has been cancelled.
- All students in hostel accommodation are requested to vacate their residences and to return home within 72 hours, ie by Thursday, 19 March 2020.
- Academic classes will resume on 14 April 2020.
- Lecturers will provide students with assignments and information for self-study. Further information regarding assignments and information for self-study will be communicated via e-mail to staff and students.
- The impact of this extended break is that the June vacation will be shortened. Dates will be communicated in due course.
- Lecturers have also committed to utilising weekends to make up lost time in the interests of students and their academic programme
- This arrangement applies to all students, including those on Learnerships at the Elsenburg Agriculture Training Institute.
I further urge students to note that:
- The two most important public health principles are social distancing and the containment of the disease to limit the spread of infections.
- International students should take cognisance of the two weeks of self-isolation when returning to South Africa.
- In the event of requiring additional information on the virus to contact the Covid-19 Hotline at 021-928 -4102.
- Ms Desiree Chinasamy-Dampies at 021-808 5497 will remain the contact person between the students and College Management.
These measures are taken in the interest of both the students and all our staff. Extra-ordinary times require extra-ordinary measures and the safety and health of our students and staff are non-negotiable.
The co-operation and support from our students, the Student Representative Council (SRC) parents and all our staff at this difficult time is greatly appreciated.
Dr Ivan Meyer
Western Cape Minister of Agriculture
Western Cape Government
Spokesperson for Minister Meyer
Tel: 079 9904 231