Agribusinesses will pitch for multi-billion rand investments at the African Agri Investment Indaba in Cape Town next week.
Alan Winde, Minister of Economic Opportunities, said the event is Africa’s largest agriculture investment gathering.
It is a partnership between the Western Cape Government, Wesgro and the African Agri Council.
The event includes investment readiness workshops and sessions where agribusinesses will pitch to investors. Experts will also discuss trends and share innovative ideas to grow the continent’s agriculture sector. It takes place at the Cape Town International Convention Centre between 28 November and 30 November.
Minister Winde will deliver the keynote address on Monday, 29 November at 10:10am.
“Over 600 investors, agribusinesses, senior government officials and industry experts will attend the Indaba to discuss how we can strengthen Africa’s agriculture sector. My goal is to see African agricultural products, innovated by African scientists on farms owned by African farmers, emerge as leading sources of food for the growing world population. We have vast untapped potential we must harness to achieve this. Agriculture and agri-processing are a key part of our Project Khulisa growth strategy. We are seeking to add up to 100 000 jobs in agri-processing by boosting exports to key markets, including our partners in Africa. This conference will play an important role in reaching this objective.”
Along with Minister Winde, the following speakers will deliver addresses on 29 November:
- Senzeni Zokwana, Minister, Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, South Africa
- MEC Lebogang Maile, MEC, Gauteng Department of Economic, Environment, Agriculture and Rural Development, South Africa
- Dr. Nigel Chanakira, Chairman, Zimbabwe Investment Authority, Zimbabwe
- Dr. John Mutunga, Chief Executive Officer, Kenya National Farmers Federation (KENAFF), Kenya
- Nhlanhla Nene, Resident Advisor, Thebe Investment Corporation and Non-Executive Board Member, Allan Gray, South Africa
- Dr John Purchase, Chief Executive Officer, Agricultural Business Chamber (AgBiz), South Africa
Investors attending include the Public Investment Corporation, specialised agri funds such as the Agri-Vie Fund and Scibus Investments Pty Ltd, the Netherlands Development Finance Company (FMO), Norsad Finance Limited, Scandinavia’s Swedfund and Deutsche Bank.
To RSVP, kindly contact:
Spokesperson: Alan Winde, Minister of Economic Opportunities
Responsible for Tourism, Economic Development and Agriculture
Western Cape Government
142 Long Street, Cape Town